Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2004 09:00:21 -0400
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: Road Haus Two
Comments: To: John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>

On Thu, 6 May 2004, John Runberg wrote:

> The great thing on the Mac - and maybe a Dell does it too now > - is we just plug the camera in and POOF the camera is seen and images > transfered. No software to install, it just works.

Windows XP is pretty good about this now, too. I think Macintosh vs. Windows pretty much comes down to personal preference, these days.

> As for choosing a camera, most consumer digitals (<5 megapixels) are > affordable and take great pictures. Visit your local store and try them > out -- then research the ones you like online to learn how they perform > in the real world. If you had $1,500 lying around (and the photo jobs to > use it) I'd definately get the 10-D. You'd still have to get a lens, > however...

I recently bought a Canon Digital Rebel 300D. Same image sensor as the 10D, same resolution, same lens mount. The main difference is you get a little less in the way of menu options. Probably not something a typical amateur would miss, unless you're really into manual control. The menu layout is very similar to Canon's point-and-shoot digital cameras, making it an easy step up for anyone who's used one of those. The big difference between this camera and the 10D is the price -- the Rebel sells for just under $1,000 including an 18-55mm zoom lens. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but I love it so far. (And I've been shooting with manual 35mm SLRs for years.)

At work we have a Canon Powershot S30 3-megapixel point-and-shoot camera. I can unequivocably recommend that one, too. It's not the cheapest, lightest, or smallest digital camera you'll find, but it takes great pictures and it's very durable. After over a year of careless use on job sites by various employees it's got a few dings, but it still works great. My only complaint is that the automatic white balance doesn't do well under fluorescent lights. Manual white balance works fine. (The 300D has a bit of this problem, too.)

> That said, a couple suggestions. You can easilly max your hard drive w/ > images in short order. This means backing up to CD or DVD is mandatory.

Also, remember that if you want to email or post images on the web, the ones straight off the camera are going to be way too big. You'll want some simple image editing software so you can make lower-resolution versions of them. Most cameras come with software that's reasonably functional. Keep the large versions around for doing prints.

David Brodbeck, N8SRE '86 Volvo 240DL wagon '82 VW Vanagon Westfalia Diesel