Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2004 06:07:13 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road Haus Two
Comments: To: Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET>

--- Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> getting her ready for a long US and Canada > trip...some mechanical left...then we're ready to hit > the road....I'm looking for topics, issues, and > things in general that we've not thought of...do to > our lack of experience.

If we have learned anything from Larry Chase, it is that one must budget a LOT of money for repairs. If you have deeper pockets than larry Chase, then go ahead an consider all of the fancy gadgets for your van. If you have not already replace the:

alternator, fuel pump, distributor, both heads, complete rebuilds of all four breaks, new wheel bearings, new radiator, new AFM, O2, etc.

then you can budget to replace these one-by-one on your trip. for instance, I just dropped $2,000 CDN on my trip from Halifax to Michigan on rear brakes and 2 complete rear wheel bearings sets.

The first 2 rules of vanagon travel are: 1) what breaks will break at the most inopportune time, and 2) in the most in opportune place. ie the day before your daughter's wedding in front of a mechanic who goes to the front of the van to look for the engine!!!

Internet connections??? Buy a lot of net storage (yahoo photos or the like) and use Cyber Cafes to up-load your pictures. Use the cyber-cafes for email too.

Re digi camera, I choose the Nikon Coolpix 5400 for its more wide angle lens and for its Panorama mode. I'm happy with it.

Re budget. It costs my wife and me about $100 to $150/day (last year) to stay on the road. That is Gas, oil, food, overnights (and yess we steal camp when we can) and remember to include entry fees to this that & tother. Then comes the repair bills! & medical bills. Insurance etc.

A budget is not too hard to calculate. MPG & # miles driven per day & cost per gallon. Oil changes every 5,000 miles etc. Get a national parks pass.

I have done my fair share of travel and one must 'go with the flow' and NOT get upset when things take an unexpected twist. Plan to breakdown and it will be much less painfull.

My 2 cents worth. Malcolm