Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2004 06:45:20 -0700
From:         Tim Schneider <Tim.Schneider@SYNOPSYS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Road Haus Two (LONG . NVC!)
Comments: To: David Brodbeck <gull@gull.us>

** At 06:06 AM 5/6/2004, David Brodbeck wrote: **

>I have T-Mobile, and like it, but their coverage isn't very good.

exactly.. ! we headed out yesterday on a sightseeing cruise on the 'apache trail' east of Phoenix metro area. No service just outside of Apache Jct.. all the way to Roosevelt Lake. There was an island of coverage there at the adot maint yard.. then *none* all the way until we crested the hill over gonzales pass a ways west of superior and came into view of the smog cloud of phx.

I've heard that Verizon (from other colleagues) has the best nation wide coverage, and you can still get dual mode CDMA and AMPS (analog) phones from them.

AT&T Wireless/Cingular still supports TDMA/AMPS but begrudgingly.. they are 'encougraging' customers to switch over to their GSM network. My old sony/ericsson LX300 phone would work in an amazing number of places.. but what I found is that they are starting to drop some of their roaming agreements with the older technology carriers (Analog - AMPS) in the rural areas. You dial up and get asked to type in a credit card number!

The other negative was that the analog network in AZ seemed to me to be going downhill fast... (very staticy, very difficult to hear/be heard)

I threw in the towel and swith to T-Mo about two months ago.. works fine in metro areas, but out in the boonies a ham radio would be a much better way to stay in touch. (if you want to learn such)

-tim

90 syncro westy mesa, az