Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2004 12:54:39 -0400
From:         The corruptor <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Roadhaus....partial solution for helping!

I suggested a few long distance helping solution to Larry. With all the brains on that list, we may have few ideas and solution.

Here are some of mine: 1- Film the engine wile running, make a MPG clip with sound, put it on your web site or mine.

2-Use MSN (or similar) with live web-cam, so anyone willing to help can guide you live.

3-Take close up picture of head / rocker assembly. We can return those with some solution or tips.

Larry's engine as been putt apart a few times, that is a good thing, all screws a not rusty or seize, i know, we changed his exhaust to head gasket. So with some help, am sure that head can easily be remove. Am even sure that the sleeves are not stuck to the heads.

For those who don't know... here is a small Roadhaus engine problems history:

Right side top end problem only, especially #1 piston failure. He is now running stock pistons, still, when we took the compression test a month ago or so, compression was 160psi (+-15) all around except for 90 at #1, this 90 as been stable since a few month, i did pour 2 spoons of oil in that cylinder, compression didn't rise the first time, second try, a slight rise at 130psi. His somewhat black puffing one day made me perplex! This was not a mixture or coolant puffing, it was thick brown / black smoke puffing, only on hard acceleration and on hill.

Many have suggested a few diagnostic on that "always" right side #1 problems, but many other 2.2 owner had the same failure, and also, different heads were use in his 45k trip, so in my conclusion, head is not the main problem, even if i think that the right head is cracked, for sure, it's damage, we know that...

I think that the crank is the problem, am thinking of a bad rod a alignment / faulty and defective main bearing, but now we are getting deap, maybe Bob or others can comment on my diagnostic. Even the core as been change, so i also rule out a bad sleeve matting surface, remember, always the #1 going out in flame, different case and head, now i don't know if the rods or crank is the same???

Am just trowing some ideas.

Larry is not a mechanic, but i have worked with him on his van, i know that he his quite capable of doing a lot more than he think.

Regards. http://www.benplace.com/vw.htm