Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 May 2004 12:27:55 -0700
From:         Ryan Press <ryan@PRESSLAB.US>
Subject:      Re: Roadhaus - Need an Engine

Some people don't like this thread for one reason or another but I thought I'd state my opinion.

I agree with Ben Huot - there are givers and there are takers. Larry to me does NOT seem like a taker. I have never met him in person. He did not ask for hand outs, just a cheap engine to get him going again. I have no problem helping these sort of people out whenever they are in need.

I know that any gift I give them they will give back to someone else one way or another. Sort of like that movie "Pay it Forward." Sometimes I accidentally give something to one of these so called "takers" but I can accept that.

To me the Vanagon and this list is about more than just a vehicle. It is about the people who drive them. I think this thread is important and shows the many varied levels of "givers" and "takers." I think even some of you are "givers" but have been burned too many times by the "takers" and are hesitant to give any more.

Of course I find no fault in Larry asking for a cheap engine. Sure he probably made a mistake with the big bore engine, even against the suggestion of the list. So what. I'm not going to say "Told you so." He is just a regular person like us and makes mistakes. He didn't get the big bore engine thinking "When this thing blows I'll just get a free engine from people on the Vanagon list." And furthermore the latest engine he had was pretty much stock (if I recall correctly.)

So Larry, good luck. I can help you out with parts if you need them; I have a complete engine (taken apart) that spun a bearing. The heads of course as well as any assorted bits are yours if you need them.

Ryan