Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 May 2004 08:00:58 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine fuel injection differences from 86 through 91
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

The fuel injection system from the 86-91 2.1l Vanagons is the same for all these years. There are small differences, however nothing that actually effects the ability to swap newer ECUs or other control units between years and the wiring harnesses can be swapped as well with no difficulties.

There are some differences in the cooling system. If you want to take a look on my website at the coolant hose chart I have there for this year range you will see that there were several changes after 87 and a certain VIN number. It is important to know about this when ordering hoses. However these changes are not so drastic as to not allow an engine from an 86 to be transplanted into a 91. Actually I have swapped later model 2.1l engines into 84-85 Vanagons (which originally had 1.9l engines) with ease. I have heard of folks swapping 1.9l engines into later model Vanagons as well (although this is not a good idea because you lose 10 hp which is noticable). So as long as you are swapping waterboxer for waterboxer swap away. There are some minor tweaks you have to do if you swap between 2.1l and 1.9l but nothing more than a person with average mechanical ability couldn't do.

Hope this helps, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com http://www.eurovan.org http://www.vwcabrio.org Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242