Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 May 2004 20:58:51 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: ok.. driveplate/flexplate question...New flywheel for sale...
Comments: To: jesse johnson <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET>

I have pulled engines out of three Air Cooled Vanagons with Automatic Transmissions. The pilot bushing was in every one of them. However; If you doubt my words just pull the bearing out and you'll have satisfied your requirements. End play is not for the purpose of clutch pressure on the crank end. It is for alignment of rods on the crank journals, proper spacing at the #1 main thrust surface. If you're changing Flywheel / Flex plate. You should probably check the crank end play. In situations where I have changed out flywheels I've needed to adjust the end play with alternate shims. Not likely that it is a NEW flywheel, just resurfaced and that is a $26.00 service at my local automotive machine shop. (It is a three cut procedure).

Stan Wilder

----- Original Message ----- From: "jesse johnson" <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 8:28 PM Subject: ok.. driveplate/flexplate question...New flywheel for sale...