Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2004 22:50:23 -0700
From:         Mark Seifert <theburnvictims@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)

I have had my 86 Vanagon since December of 2003. I bought it from the manager of the shop I used to work for, 2 weeks before I left. He was a surfer, and he used it for weekend trips to the beach for I think 14 years. He took pretty good care of it, and I always thought it was a cool van, but never thought about buying one until he decided to get rid of it. One Saturday he asked the mechanics to take a look at it and check a coolant leak that he thought was a head gasket. We confirmed it, and he left the van there for the weekend. On the following Monday, he showed up for work with a brand new Honda Element (disgusting, I know...) While he was transferring all his stickers and cabinets, etc from the van to his new Honda, I asked what he planned to do with the VW. He said he was just going to donate it, and said if I wanted it, he would take $1000. See, I'm a 26-year-old mechanic (NOT a "Volkswagen mechanic"), who's also in a band, so it sounded like a van that could get my band to our gigs, that only needed a head gasket, for 1 grand was a great deal! I talked it over with my bass player, and he came down to take a look at it. We both agreed that the van was the coolest thing we had ever seen, so we bought it. Since I was changing jobs, I didn't plan to fix the leak anytime soon, so I put some Bar's Leaks in it. That actually worked. Of course, I didn't consider it fixed, just driveable for now. I drove it to work and around town for a while, and I absolutely loved it. I had never owned a VW before. I have owned about 12 cars since my first when I was 17 years old. 3 of those cars were late 60's BMW 2002's, so I have some familiarity with German cars. Speaking of those '02s, I put alot of work, time, and money into them, and I only had success with one, the other two had serious engine trouble that was too much for me to afford at the time. Still one of the best cars in the world, though. Anyway, the only experience I had with VW's was a girlfriend years ago who had a 68 bug, which I drove most of the time, and had many problems with. One time the clutch pedal fell off while I was driving. Another time the pressure plate broke, and the starter burned up because I tried to restart it when it died. We ripped the back fender in half when she caught my Datsun truck's front bumper at a stop sign. We replaced fuel filters every 2 weeks due to the crap in the gas tank. There were strange puffs of smoke inside the car from time to time. She had at least 3 stereos stolen, and one time the entire speaker board behind the back seat. etc.... So I made new curtains for it first, because I didn't like the ones it came with. I removed all the surfer stickers that remained, and I drove the van around until February, when we had an out of town gig coming up in Chico, CA. We live in Sacramento, so that's about a 2 hr drive. We discussed taking the van on such a trip with its imminent leak. Being a mechanic, I tend to make stupid decisions about cars from time to time. I think because I know how to fix them, there should be no problems if anything should go wrong on the road. So we loaded up the van and got on the 99 north. The first hour of the trip was fine. The van was cruising along, and I was watching the temp gauge. Later on, the temp gauge seemed like it was going up, but again I was sure everything would be fine. Just about 10 miles from Chico, the gauge went all the way up, and the light started blinking. I pulled over and saw coolant literally pouring out of the right side head. I guess the Bars leak finally gave out. So we waited for it to cool down a bit while I convinced the other guys everything would be fine. When it was cool enough to add water (which we brought 6 gallons of, just in case), I watched it pour out while I poured it in. The head gasket was literally broken! I filled it up and jumped in. We drove into Chico, and found the gig, with the temp light blinking and the engine steaming. We played and then thought about ways to get back. I knew the only way we could get that van home was to seal the leak. So we went to a gas station and bought some more leak seal. They didn't have Bars leak, so I bought the Gunk. I figured it was worth a shot. We were quite amazed when we saw that the Gunk actually worked. We drove home without leaking a drop. Now it was time to seriously think about fixing the van. I took it to the shop and yanked the engine out. I figured that would be the best place to start. Then I started reading online about the 2.1s and their poor design, spun rod bearings after 150000 miles, stretch bolts, and other things. I read about engine conversions, but after checking prices of parts, I decided that would not fit my budget. I knew what I had to do was tear it apart and overhaul it. This was an experience I'll never forget. Don't think I did this without help. I got help from many different people, including some of you on the list. I needed it. I was able to get by without using any of the "special tools." You dont need those. They might make things easier, but there's no need to buy them. I got some help from Wally at Vanagonparts.com, which is right here in Sacramento. He rebuilt my heads, and helped me get the endplay set correctly. After chasing down the parts, using photocopied pages from the Bentley, which I never bought for myself, and asking countless questions, I got it back together, and it's running again with no problems. I did the JB Weld treatment on the heads, becase I've heard mostly good things about it. I re-used a lot of the parts that I took out, including the oil rings, because the new ones in the set looked like a crappy design compared to the original. I had to re-use on main bearing, because I crushed it the first time I put the case together. It was the one behind the two gears on the front of the crankshaft - fun. I put the case together and took it apart 3 times, due to various probelms and screw ups. I put one of the heads on and took it off once, because I over-extended my pushrod tubes, and they went in crooked. The other head I did the same thing, because I forgot to put the lifters in. I had to hunt all over town for piston snap-rings, because I broke two of them when I took the pistons out after putting them in once already. It took 6 weeks to complete. I've learned so much in the past 5 months, and I've really started to love my Vanagon. I will never sell it. And if I do decide to get rid of it one day, it will be replaced by another VW. Working with cars for a living, driving and working on pretty much everything that's out there, I've never seen anything better than a VW. Out of all the vehicles I've owned and driven, I have to say that the Vanagon is the greatest one ever made.

-Mark

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself with the new version of MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/