Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 May 2004 02:30:43 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)

>My first VW was a 1962 I paid $700 for in 1967 and man that was a lot of >table bussing @ $1.65/hr. at a Kings Food Host in Ames Iowa. First bus >was a 60 model with the double doors on the drivers side. Paid $3.61 for >it and it ran. A group of hippie folk needed a load of tapestries(and >gawd only knows how many drugs) delivered to a head shop near the ISU >campus in Ames, so I borrowed the roomates car and a U haul bumper tow >hitch and drove to the SW part of the state and paid the compression test >bill($3.61) at the local IH implement dealer. Yeah, it had a hole in one >of the pistons, but that was easy enough to fix and I drove it from Ames >to Southern MN weekly for my construction job that whole summer. Ended up >giving it to my roomate in exchange for him co-signing a loan so I could >acquire my dream car(still wish I had it), a 1963 non rusty 356B Coupe.

Also had a 71 gold/white bus I paid $800 for in 78, put dual kadrons on it and did a lot of river running shuttles with it. then went to a 79 orange/tan in 85 for $3k and put dual 2 barrel Webers on it and more work than I care to remember, but many more fond river running memories.. Found a decent 90 GL in the back of a Little rock truck dealership in 1997 for $2850 after they started at $5500 for it. A little knowledge about the oil light/buzzer coming on and a non VW filter went a long way towards buffaloing the salesman into thinking the engine was ready to blow. Put almost 100k on it and next to the Porsche, it's the second coolest vehicle I've ever owned. Grand total of over 50 VWs so far, but a lot of them were parted out in the winter time to supplement unemployment in the wintertime.

that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel, 52 years old and eventually will grow up