Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 May 2004 16:48:07 -0400
From:         Robert Harris <rdh24@CORNELL.EDU>
Subject:      State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)

31 years old and new to the list. Very impressive, the VW resume of some folks here -- I'm only on my 2nd! #1 was a '64 Beetle I bought in college for next to nothing after my first-ever car, a Triumph Spitfire, wheezed to a permanent halt. Ran like a champ with a 1600dp motor and 12v electrics -- sold me on German engineering. I finally had to let it go when the heater channel rust got out of hand.

VW #2 is an '84 Westy I just picked up a few weeks ago after YEARS of wanting one. Yippee!! Suddenly work, relationships, and all other practical concerns seem just a bit drab compared to the fun of wrenching on the brick to make it road worthy again. Hope this disease abates or I may get myself into trouble! The van is cosmetically excellent but does need some attention -- wasserboxer threw a rod before I could even get it home. I had a good 2.2L Subaru motor sitting in the garage "just in case," so now I'm going ahead and converting the Westy to Subaru power. Learning as I go... anybody doing a conversion in the upstate NY area please give a holler, I'd love to trade notes! Driveway's always got a space for wandering Vanagons passing through - just let me know.

Robert Harris Ithaca, NY '84 Vanagon Westfalia on jackstands '95 Subaru Legacy LS winter driver '93 Honda CB750