Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 May 2004 17:57:28 -0400
From:         Scott Grass <csgrass@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)

Hi I'm Scott and I'm 34 and addicted to syncro VW's among other things. I'm fairly new to the list but I read all the tech threads, because one can never have too much info. OK, sometimes you can but it isnt very often. As for my addiction to VWs alll sarted a few years ago when I was over the roughing it part of my climbing addiction, any my wife( she is so good) and myself decide to look in to campers to live out of, for extended periods of time. Let me tell you, the westy is a palace to live out of after spending months living out of a tent. So the hunt was on for a climbing base camp vehicle. We started looking at all the options, class C campers (gas hogs, to big ), vans that were converted to campers that were made by the big three ( felt like a coffin inside were dark and dreary, really didnt want a restroom in a van that small, were gas hogs like the class C ). So we saw a couple of westies at various crags on the west coast and talked to some of their owners.They liked their westie, some liked air some water a lot of info, it seemed that everyone who owned one was crazed with his or her van. I just wanted a camper that was reasonable prices and not a "Hog". Looked on the internet, SAMBA and others , started shopping and low and behold, found out that there was this van that was a westie and was 4 wheel drive. This was a great break through, we were expecting with any camper that we would be parking at the paved / semi paved roads and walking the rest of the way in on foot. This was going to allow us to go to remote areas and stay. So I did some homework and started looking for a Syncro Westfalia the later the better, after much looking well over a years worth. I had almost given up every van was trashed or a collectors dream and priced as such. I was going to buy a 93 westie 2wd out of SC and just days before the deal was done. I came upon a 91 sncryo westie for sale, honestly I can remember were i got the ad there were so many. It was for sale up in PA and I called and bought my syncro from a member of this list, who was not all that sure that he wanted to sell. Who could blame him. Well after driving it back to KY I was in love with this van. It is every thing I was looking for in a camper and more. After driving it on a few trips AL,TN, and GA, I was preaching the virtues of the westie to all my buddies at the crags and Im starting to see more and more showing up here . I have had good luck so far with the van, knock on wood. just the things you would expect to fix on any older car. New shocks and tires tune up air filter . Use it at least every weekend and recently I spent three months in west Texas living out of it. The only draw back I have found so far is the angry faces in my rear view mirrior on hills in the mountians , but I think I got a fix for that to Im going to close the rear window blinds . Now im looking for another westie another synchro or maybe an air cooled Hmmmm.......

Scott Grass 91 syncro westphaila 87 toyota MR2 supercharged (60,000 org miles)