Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2004 10:13:00 -0700
From:         Westyman <syncrowestytd@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      SDME, VC strength and life-span
Comments: To: Syncro list <syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncrolist <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>,
          TDI-conversion <TDI-conversion@yahoogroups.com>

Syncro De Mayo East took place this weekend past, as some of you may be aware. Although it involved an over-abundance of gravel and dirt road travel [i.e. dust in every crack and crevice of our vans, well maybe not Kim's] we did manage to find a few spots in the wilds of West Virginia in which to play. I drove my old trusty Canadian Syncro Westy 1.9 TD for the event, now at 459,000 kilometers with all original CV joints AND viscous coupling. Since I'm upgrading to 16" wheels soon, I opted to continue using the winter snow tires [BS Winter Duelers] rather than springing for new treads for the event. In the first play area with several steep climbs, the van easily clawed to the tops and over. During the last climb, I noticed a clicking sound, followed later by a couple little jerks in the drivetrain. Then all was quiet, so I just ignored doing any sort of further checks. As we continued up and around the hills, I began noticing a bit of strange handling when applying throttle, and also thought the clutch was slipping. The engine would rev ahead, much like an automatic transmission for a few seconds, but would lock in consistently and pull the van ahead normally. It wasn't until we drove about another five or ten miles that I had that I had the idea to pull the rear diff lock. Voila! Slippage stopped, handling back to normal. Closer inspection showed both left rear CV's to be broken, the shaft just floating. I had been driving along with only the front wheels pulling! This should answer those inquiring minds that want to know how well a VC really transfers power to the front wheels! This VC [in case you missed it, with 459,000 km of use] has always and still does today function perfectly. Solid shaft in my vans future? Nah. Why? I love the seamless way it delivers power as needed, with no reason to ever fiddle with buttons in advance of conditions. If I ever need to crawl rocks, I'll for sure get a Unimog, this VC setup works just fine for me in the Westy.

I'd love to see all photos taken at the event, maybe someone could coordinate getting all in one spot and burning copies to CD? I'd take on the task if needed. Thanks to all who attended, it was fun to get together, and a special thanks to Kim Brennan for hosting the event, and to Brady for the loaner axle shaft and for providing Syncro entertainment factor on more than one occasion. See all of you next year, unless of course we organize another play day sooner.

Karl Mullendore Westy Ventures '87 Syncro Westy 1.9TD '85 Westy