Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 May 2004 13:18:32 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!!

Age: 41 Some have said that I bought my Westy a few years ago in the midst of a mid-life crisis, instead of a red convertible. Pretty pathetic, if true. It IS a diesel, so perhaps I'm simply psychologically preparing myself for life in the slow lane ...

The first recollection I have of riding in a car was as an infant in the back seat of a new blue '61 Beetle. This was in the days before child-safety seats (or rear seat belts, or heaters), so the only protection I had was the baby blanket in which I was wrapped, against the cold Wisconsin winter.

Many years later, when my girlfriend totalled my '81 Toyota Tercel, I rode a Schwinn Varsity for several months before buying a '67 right-hand-drive Austin Mini which had been languishing in someone's front yard for a number of years. The For Sale sign was so sun-faded as to be nearly illegible. One time when the rear main seal blew and I knew it would be out of commission while I pulled the engine, I impulsively bought a '78 Rabbit for $150.

While rallying around snowy suburban streets, the Rabbit's PO had bashed a curb with a rear wheel and badly bent the rim. I didn't really bother me, but other motorists were inspired to leap from their cars at stop lights and frantically rap on my window to inform me that my rear wheel was wobbling and was in imminent danger of becoming disconnected. Their expressions did not improve when I shrugged and replied that it always did that ...

I later developed a deep longing for a Scirocco I, and when I learned it shared nearly everything with the Rabbit but the chassis, I knew I must have one. It is difficult to believe that famed Italian designer Giorgio Giugiaro could have wrought both the jelly-beanie Karmann-Ghia and the doorstop-wedge Scirocco I, but there it is. One day when arriving at work, a sharp sound came from the engine compartment, and I determined that I had snapped something the troubleshooting section referred to as a "timing belt". Hmm. As evidence of what can be accomplished by an unwitting (or dimwitted) kid with a Haynes manual and a socket set, I proceeded over the next three days to replace said timing belt with the car rendered immobile in the back parking lot of the mall in which I worked. I fired it up and, without so much as a final tune-up, drove it for several more years.

I don't recall how an '82 (?) Quantum Wagon came into my possession, but it provided good service, often garnering nearly 40 mpg while loaded down with two passengers, a pair of mountain bikes, and a week's worth of camping and climbing gear. On remote northern logging roads, I often locked my bike to a tree, piled my gear on the roof of the wagon, and slept in the back. I still miss it.

Due to a lingering post-traumatic stress disorder, I have refrained from listing here all the numerous mechanical and spiritual catastrophes which resulted from my years of Volkswagen ownership, but rest assured their numbers are many. I swore I would never again own (nor be owned by) a VW, and for 36 months I stuck to my word. Then Fate made an unsignalled lane change into my life as we were rudely cutoff in traffic by an '83 diesel Westy, and through the billows of smoke I could make out a For Sale sign in the rear window. All hope was lost, and my wife could only wring her hands and watch helplessly as I innocently stumbled and fell into my VW relapse.

They say the first step in recovery is recognizing that one has a problem. To them I reply that I've never seen a problem that couldn't be solved by a bit of Spam & eggs in the woods ...

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" www.vanthology.com