Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2004 09:17:04 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: test - Thoughts on Larry, the list, and everything!  42
Comments: To: KARL WOLZ <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

Lighten up, Stan. Methinks you're just jealous. Nothing wrong with that, but you don't need to be so vocal about it. -------------------------- Clip ---------------------------- Karl: I ran my Westy over 300,000 miles in about 9 years. I installed two engines. I fought head winds, tail gating 18 wheelers and camped in desolate spots with no facilities. I crawled up hills at 30 miles an hour and tripped through mountains that drove my fuel mileage down in the 10 mpg range. I always traveled and camped alone. (90% of the time) It was for the most part a very lonley life. My pictures from my travels look like Larry's ............... no people in the pictures. I could never be jealous of his way of lonley boring travel. I can just feel the lonliness when I see all those pictures on his site of big Rocks at Western States parks. I kept waiting for some humerous antedotes about VW travel experiences and people that he met; Please repost these if he ever posted any. It's now your turn to convince me that living on the road in a Westy is any where close to the quality of life that almost every American demands. I could never have kept my Westy on the road if I hadn't dedicated many hours to the care, preventive maintenance and molycodled treatment it required. My level of "Dumb about VWs" was right up there with Larry when I first got my Westy. I blew a new VW Canadian rebuilt engine running against a headwind within 30 days of buying the Westy. I spent double the price I paid for the Westy within 90 days on parts and repairs. I thought that I could drive the Westy like I've driven every other car I've ever owned. On my first engine rebuild I paid a good 50% more for the required parts because I hadn't found the right vendors. Given that I've had lots of VW experience both travel wise and pure mechanics, I sure haven't got a jealous bone in my body. I have no desire to make Westy trips that require more than the 500 miles of driving that I can accomplish in one very hard day of driving in a Westy.

Stan Wilder