Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2004 11:09:39 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Thoughts on State of the List

Wow! It's amazing how much space can be eaten up by one engine failure; if it has in fact failed. And, no, I am not gong to continue on in the throes of who and how and why we should or should not pay or not Paypal Larry. I am going to state a few of my observations regarding recent List postings and the general nature of this list and the online community it serves.

I bought my first Vanagon in 1985. After a brief hiatus I rejoined this List in December, 1999, I think. I have gleaned and embraced a lot of VERY IMPORTANT technical advice from many of you. I have enjoyed reading about all of your travels and travails (there has to be a reason those two words are so closely spelled). The List has been a positive part of both my online and on road life.

Being in the relative Vanagon hinterlands of rural Southern Ohio, I have been able to meet and camp with a only few of you and think of you as friends. I know you better after making your corporal acquaintance and being able to put a face with a name. Those of you in the above category will understand my postings better. And, I too, will understand your postings a little more for the same reasons.

I know most of the rest you only from your postings. Your personalities shine or darken through your words. It's to you that I want to explain my thoughts on recent List postings.

Our proclivities and biases show through our written words. (Many times our hidden meanings and nuances don't. And even after saying this, I am very glad that Gerry doesn't allow those horrible emotive icons.) To demonstrate, if I say that we have a List member who is skilled in using double entendre, wit, and signs with four letters most of you who have been here a week or longer will know to whom I am alluding. If I say there's a Listee who offers a lot of things for sale, who is not a vender and who "never" gives his prices... you'll know who it is. How 'bout the guy who can't spell but rebuilds a mean engine? How 'bout the guy who can't spell, shoots from the hip and doesn't comprehend when he's being dinged? I could list a lot of you through describing your postings. Well now I'm getting to the meat of my diatribe (to mix a metaphor or two).

Is the List becoming meaner or more bellicose? Several Listees have asked this question or one like it recently. I can't answer them. I can write in response, though. Our personalities become apparent in our postings.. and some of our non-postings. There are several people that I have met camping who belong to this List who very seldom post anything. Michael, NC, and Jeffs, OH, are bright, astute and chose mostly not to post. Most of you will not get to know their humor, wit or much of anything else about them. That's your loss. There are some who post infrequently (I feel that I fit here) and the rest of you might have a glimpse into our world. These two groups make up the majority of this List. And selfishly for the sake of my delete button I am glad that is so.

The "posting" minority has of its own volition opened itself up to the world. Over the years the posting population has shifted around in gender, geography and content. I have noticed that as the younger crowd joins in there's a lack of spelling ability; grammar notwithstanding... but that's my pet peeve. Some new Listees warm up to posting. Some of us have joined and become very vocal almost immediately. I have seen these types fade quickly while some have posted continuously over the years. I personally don't see a lot of difference in the overall attitude of the List but I do see a trend in bashing versus flaming.

I view flaming as a natural reaction to opposing points of view. As I understand it, there has always been flaming around this List. But the recent bashing seems to me to have become personality driven. When we bash each other we are attacking the online personality that we have come to know (and dislike). It is an easy trajectory to pitch words like stones. TK wore a target on HIS back. Others have come very close.

As the List becomes a part of our daily lives it naturally evolves into an extension of our extant feelings at the time of reading and posting. Maybe we are not calm and we all know we are not at peace right now. Perhaps it would be best to try to install some calm and peace on the List. I mean my God...we could be experiencing one of those threatened tire threads!!

Thanks for letting me rant and rave.

Stephen Steele* Chillicothe OH PS. Maybe I'll meet a few more of you at Buses, Bands and Brews > http://www.geocities.com/buses_n_boats/ '87 Westy "Franz" '84 Westfalia "Fritz" '82 Caddy VW Diesel P.U. Unknown future???? '74 MGB My first car...yep, I've kept it since '74 '93 Chevy S-10 '91 Jetta Diesel My daily driver '02 Jetta Wagon VR6 Wife's car Ex Vans: '91 Caravelle "Hans"...1995-2003 Now with Son #1 '81 Vanagon from 1985-1990 *all rights reserved/no portion of this document may be reproduced w/o prior written permission