Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 May 2004 07:14:03 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Ben's Brandnew Bus (was Thoughts on Larry, the list ...)
Comments: cc: huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA

Ben wrote: >> I have a all new 78 interior with stove.... all redone, a nice wood floor and many little gadjets. Am running a clean and strong 1800cc with modified head, cooling system (i have one Bro, ha ha ha) is clean, tight and operational. Am also running a reliable single weber carc, well jetted and ajust, 318 miles with a 13 gallons tank, can you beat that with your Vanagon!!!!

Sorry to say, Ben, but my 1.6L diesel routinely goes 365 miles on the same 13 gallons, sometimes as far as 390.

>> Well, i don't want to bash the Vanagon, but i like the simplicity of the bus...i now have about 85hp and it's more than i need with that tranny....

Well, you have me there: on a good day, my diesel delivers about 50hp. I've had Great Plains headwinds just about stop me in my tracks, and had to get off the freeway and tack on a diagonal course. It's like sailing a boat.

>> very simple, reliable and much better looking than any Vanagon.

You are preaching to the choir here. As much as I love the interior layout of the Vanagon Westy, and the mechanical simplicity of the diesel (it only needs one wire to run), there is nothing to compare with the cheeky charm of the Type 2/Bus, Westy or not.

Looking forward to seeing your photos, and hope to finally meet you at EveryBus 2005.

Later!

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" www.vanthology.com