Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 May 2004 16:34:42 GMT
From:         John <kayakjr@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1st time pulling my WBX, Advice?
Comments: cc: bduggan@MINDSPRING.COM

Bryan, I Pulled one at a friends and he said we'll use my morotcycle jack. I cautioned him that we needed a "real" floor jack. Anyway, used the motorcycle life (Sears sells them) and it was great. Then I go over another friend's house a week later to pull a 911 motor and he has a motorcycle jack! They are great.

Here's my advice. Pull the CV's first, as they get in the way and you ought to re-pack them anyway. I cut a cereal box to stick below the CV in the cavity below the outward end of the axle (that's underneath the van looking to to outside of the van) so if it drops, it does get all crud in it. You will see what I mean. I suggest taking the inner end off first and then wrapping the CV in plastic to keep it clean.

Yeah , you may be re-packing them, but no need to introduce trouble.

Pull the tranny and engine out as a unit. If you only have a floor jack, then I second using a rid in the hatch and tying rope to the engine support bar. Then you can drop the tranny a bit with the floor jack and use the ropes to slowly lower the engine. Helps to have a person on each rope and one on the floor jack.

Even with the motorcycle jack, you need a second jack or support under the trans, There's many ways to do this, put he above is likely the easiest. With the VW and the Porsche, we used a floor jack under the tranny and motorcycle jack under the engine.

The other item I discovered, as this was the only water cooled engine I had ever puled, (and I have pulled 3 engine this year alone) is, it is best to get all the coolant out that you can ahead of time. So follow the Bently - my friend did not and I kept getting coolant on me - no fun.

Take your time, disconnect the battery first, you can do this!

That's my pointers for now.

John R Massachusetts