Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 May 2004 12:57:47 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shocking Thread
Comments: cc: THX0001@AOL.COM

>> ALKO makes trailer suspension components. Enough said.

> And Bosch makes Dishwashers. Enough said. >>

> I don't know if that is true, so, I'll have to trust(?) the > word of an appliance salesmen. If you can't provide > something germane to the message, don't attack the messenger.

I did not mean to attack the messenger and apologize if it was taken that way. Whether it is intentional or not, I find that many of your replies come off as condescending, and sometimes this strikes a nerve. Nevertheless, my point was in fact quite germane to the message. I thought I made it succinctly (if indeed flippantly), but to expound:

It is in my opinion silly to dismiss a manufacturer out of hand ("enough said") simply because they also make a product unrelated to Vanagons. By that logic we should all go remove all of the Bosch parts from our Vanagons. Since they also make dishwashers, surely they can't possibly know anything about auto parts!

Bosch makes home appliances, as well as a multitude of other non automotive products. http://www.boschappliances.com/

Koni (or, more accurately, ITT, who's owned the Koni name for 30 years) makes everything from wastewater treatment pumps to computer keypads. (Which have far less in common with shock absorbers than do trailer suspensions, incidentally.) http://www.itt.com/products/

Jurid brake pads, Honeywell industrial heating products, and Fram oil filters are all brought to you by http://www.honeywell.com

I could go on, but these are just the ones that come to mind offhand. Of course among Far Eastern companies the diversification can be even more dramatic. It's possible to buy your car, your microwave oven, and your canned tuna all from the same company.

We live in an era of diversification, and many companies that make our Vanagon parts also have their hands in lots of other stuff. Which is probably a good thing because many of them certainly couldn't surivive just making Volkswagen parts.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT