Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 May 2004 14:13:14 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: State Your Age
Comments: To: "Root, Tim" <TRoot@CHARTERCOM.COM>

Hello, my name is Tim, I'm 40, and I'm addicted to Volkswagens...

Here are all the cars I've owned, in order:

1976 AMC Gremlin (was my mom's car first... I would never have picked this one out myself :-). 1973 Super Beetle 1974 Opel Manta - (got it after my sister cooked the engine... I sold it without fixing it, but this is the first German engineered car I ever drove. The addiction set in instantly). 1987 Fox (My first-ever New Car). 1997 Jetta (Still my daily driver) 1985 Vanagon Westfalia (drivable, but somewhat gutted until this weekend :-)

> I did not actually buy a Volkswagen until 1990. I bought a new VW Fox > > Wagon and drove it until 1997 (240,000 miles). If I could have bought > > another just like it for twice the price I would have, but no more wagon > > after 1990.

Too true! that 1987 Fox (two door sedan) was the all-around best car I've ever driven. Great road feel, and dead-solid reliable for all ten years that I owned it.

> > I had always admired the looks of the Jetta and bought a new Jetta in > > 1997. It now has 206,000 miles on it. Not nearly the car (utility wise, > > too low slung) as the Fox.

Too true again. My '97 Jetta is a fairly good car, but nothing compared to that darn Fox. A lot lower, a lot heavier in the turns, and not *nearly* the fuel economy. I one drove the Fox from northern NJ to Baltimore and back on the same tank of gas... and I have a heavy foot on the freeway (kids, don't try this in a Jetta!)