Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 May 2004 15:21:20 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Draining the coolant system... ?
Comments: To: zolo <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

Zolo, This sure sounds quite different than raising the FRONT of the vehicle 15+ inches at the cross support. You are raising the REAR?

How did you decide to just blow off the Official Service Manual procedure from Bentley. By what authority can you say your procedure works? How do you know you are getting ALL the air out?

Why not follow the Bentley book? Just too difficult to follow? too much hassle?

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: zolo To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 12:18 PM Subject: Re: Draining the coolant system... ?

I take out the spare tire and the pan that holds it. Disconnect one of the hoses above and let out all the water. Put a bent hose on the plastic pipe that will point down into a bucket, then I go to the back and blow into the system where the cap goes, to get out all the coolant there is. I can take off the other hose too and let out whatever there is. All this is done with the heater knobs on to have the heater cores' coolant out as well. It is a pity that the design is not letting one to unbolt the plugs uder the cylinder heads because the cover plates are in the way. Taking them off is a troublesome exercise. Once I think all the coolant is out, I would flush it with the garden hose. I may fill the radiator on one hose and hold the other closed until the pressure is up enough to make it spit out faster, to unlock some reluctant deposits inside. Then I close the system and fill it with water and run the engine until the thermostat opens up again. I let all the water out. Fill again, run it, let out again. By now I can see if it is clean enough.

Now I fill in the phosphate free coolant that I have prepared 50-50 or just put one in and fill in as much water and do it until it is full. Open the bleeding bolt on the radiator. I put a very short screwdriver on the gas pedal, propped against the brake pedal's bottom to have the rev high enough to get the water up to the top of the radiator to push the air out. Keep on filling the system with the diluted coolant until I can say that there is no air in there anymore. Then close the bleeding bolt on the radiator and fill the container to the top and put the cap on and take the short screw driver out. Fill the reserve to the rim, connect it's hose to the system and stop the engine if it has already had the thermostat open and let all the areas be filled with the coolant. I have to wait until it cools down well enough to see some coolant be sucked into the system and fill the reservoire again to the rim. It can take hours. I don't expect to repeat this more than twice. Well, that's it. I am fortunate to have a very big slope next to my place and use it to have the back of the car high enough that the top of the radiator is higher than the top of the pressurised container where that blue cap goes onto. One should check for leaks or dripps at the connections though when the pressure is up in the system. I have not had any visible success using the air-bleeding knob on the top of the raidiator. I never have seen anything come out there. I hope, I was helpful. Zoltan

Start the engine ----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon Mitchell" <vanagonman@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 6:43 AM Subject: Draining the coolant system... ?