Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 May 2004 20:21:50 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Shocks

> I was amazed by how fast it walked itself off the lugs when I tried to > apply any torque. The whole hexagonal end seemed to have a slight twist > to it. > > When I could barely even get the spare tire support bolt out with the VW > wrench, I decided it was time to buy a good metric four-way. I tossed the > VW tubular wrench in the garbage, where it belongs.

the best two lug wrenches i've ever used were: - sold at the vw parts dept: Vortex. had a swappable 19mm/17mm socket on the end and a sliding/extendable handle. worked great.

but even better (but more expensive) is from Sears: - 2-foot breaker bar in 1/2-inch socket size. and the 19mm socket, with a 6-inch extension. breaks down for storage in the bus. if you can't get the nut/lug off with this contraption, it ain't coming off! runs about $35-40, though. :( but you can use it for other things (by just changing sockets). ;)

joel