Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 May 2004 19:14:49 -0700
From:         Philip Chidlaw <pchidlaw@MCN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)

I'm 46 and co-own an 87 westy with my 39 or 40 yo wife. My first VW. We picked it up about 2.5 years ago solely to fill a theoretical niche for a non-tent camping option for quick local weekend getaways with our 2 young daughters. We wanted to try more to capitalize on the remoteness of this place without getting as rained soaked or wimping out over dark clouds. I originally lobbied for the idea, citing that one time (before kids) when we made tent camp at night on the edge of the Alvord Desert on top of an ant colony.

It's turned out ok. It is a minor luxury for us in principle if not financially. The westy lives in our garage waiting for us to come out and play. We've put all of 6k on the odometer in 2.5 years. Once we drove as far as Bryce Canyon. Last summer we spent a great week camped on the shore of Buck's Lake in Plumas County. We plan to repeat that trip this June.

I am still not a fan of the VW brand though. Ironically, we sold my wife's aging Honda wagon for a new Jetta TDI wagon 10 months ago, making us an all-VW family if I don't count my all-expensed company rig, which I don't. Again, the TDI purchase was over non-brand attributes and the current slim selection of fuel efficient replacements for her Honda wagon, so I steered us toward a VW dealer with barely seconds to spare before the diesel car ban in CA and New England.

Philip Chidlaw Gualala