Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 2004 14:05:53 -0400
From:         "Thomas, Geoffrey" <Geoffrey.Thomas1@DEFENCE.GOV.AU>
Subject:      unclassified AAA+

With AAA+, as I understand it, you could call for your first 100 mile tow, get dropped off, then call for your 2nd 100 mile tow and, well, you get the picture...good for 300 or 400 miles depending on your Club.

Geoff Thomas '88 Westy

My wife and I have been AAA RV Plus plus Good Sam Road Service for = several years now. It costs more but there are a couple things you need = to know about the differences.

AAA Plus 4 tows/calls per registered person, up to 100 miles. Will tow if accident involvement.

Good Sam Will tow you to the first place that can do the proper repair, unlimited = mileage. Will not tow you if you have been in an accident. I think the number of tows or calls is 4 per person. Must have a camper van or RV in order to get the coverage.

William

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:04:16 EDT From: JordanVw@AOL.COM Subject: Re: painting your van (was RE: State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)F

In a message dated 5/11/04 10:37:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU writes:

> So Ben, what color did you decide to paint it???? > > Or maybe you could just post a photo of your newly colorful van? > > > >

Ben, i think Joy really just wants another pic of you in that leather motorcycle jacket, maybe with some matching skin tight leather pants, posing in front of your westy..

hehe just kidding Joy.. :<)

chris

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:13:11 -0400 From: Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM> Subject: Jack/jack stand locations??

Hi gang,

I recently picked up a 2-ton floor jack and jacks stands. Where are the best places to put the jack and then the stand for raising both the fron and the back of my 84 Westy???

Thanks, Doug

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:23:29 -0400 From: Ryan Dawson <rdawson@UOGUELPH.CA> Subject: Skylight Seal?

I had a question about the skylight seal. Mine is leaking pretty good right now and I was wondering whether I should replace the gasket? and what should I use to reseal it to make it water tight? Any thoughts?

Ryan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:29:19 -0700 From: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Free Parts (for packaging ans shipping)

I still have:

3 person rear seat - Blue good condition

Sliding door interior panel- grey/gray one fist sized blimish

2 retractable seatbelts - cant remember if front or rear, but about the size of quart of oil - not the small westy style.

Dashboard

Other small bits and pieces from a junker.

I do not have any way to package them, So I'll just take them to somebosy to wrap and mail. I can send pictures. Malcolm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 16:28:39 GMT From: John <kayakjr@JUNO.COM> Subject: Re: Diesels on NPR this morning

>The TDI diesels of today are even cleaner. >With proper computerized fuel injection, soot and NOX are less than >gas engine emissions. With biodiesel, they even smell better than >gas exhaust.

Not so - I wish it were true:

Not trying to pick a fight, but diesel engines, even modern ones are not very clean. see http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/ and you will see that the VW diesels are among the worst polluting cars sold - even giant SUV's are generally better than them. In automotive industry periodicals, automakers are fearing that diesles will not be able to pass the latest pollution standards that are proposed. That's one reason the US is not mvoing their cars and trucks to diesels, which would greatly increase their CAFE and are moving to hybrids instead.

from http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/report.cfm?publicationID=133

While increasing the number of diesel vehicles on the road offers only modest potential reductions in global-warming pollution, it poses a significant risk to air quality. Under current emission standards for cars and trucks, diesels are allowed to pollute over twice as much nitrogen oxides as gasoline vehicles, and 10 to 100 times more particulate matter. Nitrogen oxides are a main precursor to smog (urban ozone), and particulates aggravate respiratory problems, including asthma, and have been associated with premature death.

The following is a from a Swedish website

New diesel cars are more detrimental to the environment and to health than new petrol-driven cars. Diesel cars have improved considerably over the last ten years, but exhaust emission control technology in petrol-driven cars has developed faster. This is the result of a study commissioned by the Swedish government and performed by the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency.

"Diesel cars emit much greater amounts of nitrogen oxides, particulates and carcinogenic substances than new petrol-driven cars. The current trend in increased sales of diesel cars is actually jeopardising our chances of achieving the environmental goals for cleaner air and reduced acidification and eutrophication", says Reino Abrahamsson at the Swedish EPA.

"For the sake of the environment, it is better if car buyers choose a fuel-efficient environmentally classified petrol-driven car rather than a diesel", he adds.

John

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:37:06 -0700 From: "P. Stanhope" <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: Diesels on NPR this morning

--- David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US> wrote:

> But would there be enough bio-diesel to power the > tractors that cultivate > the corn and peanuts? ;) Agriculture in the U.S. is > heavily dependent on > petroleum.

Ya, its ironic becouse if i recall correctly, Mr. Diesel himself invented the diesel engine with the idea that farmers could produce thier own fuel to power thier tractors. Too bad that didnt ever happen.

===== Phil 84' Westy...Tiico'ed 00' Cannondale MTB 95' S9 Skateboard 04' New Balance 705 All Terrain's

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:39:13 -0700 From: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> Subject: WANTED: Tachometer plastic housing

Like the subject says, I am looking for a Vanagon tachometer plastic housing - the part that holds the electronics and bolts on to the instrument cluster housing. I'll take the whole tachometer if need be, but it doesn't need to be working as I will be installing a Jetta Diesel internals into it.

Please pmail me at sales@fastforward.ca if you can assist!

Thank you.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

Due to the large volume of email we receive, PLEASE include previous emails when responding. This will allow us to read the complete dialogue in one message and will result in quicker and more accurate responses.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:36:17 EDT From: JordanVw@AOL.COM Subject: Re: Worth of Big Brake Kit

In a message dated 5/11/04 11:39:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, botalys@VIDEOTRON.CA writes:

> > Can someone tell me if the Big Brake Upgrade worth it ? > >

yes..i havent done it yet but i plan to when i can afford to.. the stock brakes suck..and they suck even worse if you have a 80-85..

chris

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:50:46 -0400 From: Jonathan Farrugia <jfarrugi@UMICH.EDU> Subject: Re: Diesels on NPR this morning

looks good and thanks for the post but, i would assume that these studies are based on the use of fossil diesel fuel. my understanding is if you run B100 (biodiesel 100%) these numbers come way down in closer standing with gasoline burning cars.

jonathan

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:14:03 -0400 From: Kevin <antelopewesty@ADELPHIA.NET> Subject: Re: Bodywork page finish...

Very nice Ben!! Another excellant section to your site. Looks like it came out great. What kind of compressor did you use? Thanks Kevin

- http://www.benplace.com/body_work1.htm

35 hours later, beautiful original VW brigh orange. Can someone correct my English on the bottom part of the page, am tired...

Thanks, Ben

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:51:11 -0700 From: Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM> Subject: Re: Diesels on NPR this morning

If you read up on refining biodiesel, you'll find that the byproduct is simply a biodegradable vegetable glycerin. This glycerin can be composted and may serve as a fertilizer for the plants grown to produce the next batch of fuel. The glycerin can also be used to make soaps. As far as power plants burning biological material, "biological material" or "renewable fuels" can mean anything. Raw vegetable oil is not very clean when burned, contrary to the "greasels" out there. Same with burning straight crude vs refined petroleum. Once the vegetable oil is transesterified (refined), it is very clean burning and the byproduct is inert. You won't get much better than that until we're electrolyzing hydrogen from water using solar power. It's pretty expensive to run an economy on subsidized agriculture. Biodiesel is a good start and much better than the Bush plan to make hydrogen from petroleum. My goal is to not have any gas consuming vehicles by this time next year.

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro

-----Original Message----- Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 23:52:53 -0400 From: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU> Subject: Re: Diesels on NPR this morning

There is a question, though, about what kind of biological material is used to make the fuel. I don't know how auto fuel is made, but with power plants that burn biological material, it's not clear that they are that much better than petroleum. They put out GHG emissions, and if the fuel isn't grown organically, its cultivation generates a lot of water pollution from ag runoff. Is the biological matter used to make biodiesel the waste from some other ag process or grown specifically for fuel? In the former case, what is now done with that waste. If it's excess nutrients that we've found a new use for, great. But if it was returned to the soil to enrich it for future agriculture, then we'll have to replace it. If it was grown just for making fuel, then how? Growing biofuels organically is pretty expensive.

All of which isn't to say that they aren't a good idea, just that they may not be financially viable, and they also may not be environmentally preferable to the alternatives.

Joy

End of vanagon Digest - 11 May 2004 to 12 May 2004 - Special issue (#2004-445) **************************************************************************** **