Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2004 17:12:26 -0400
From:         MilosKitchen <sagmoore@ZOOMINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Ok Chris,

Age: 50

My Dad had a '51 beetle (one of the first in P'burgh) with a crash gearbox and no vent windows; it had cowl flaps behind the front fenders. As a toddler, used to ride in the "well" behind the rear seat. I later rehabbed it as a teenager and sold it. Duh. He also had a Deluxe Microbus from the '50's, don't know the year but orangey red on the bottom and brown on top ('55 maybe? I was young), but I remember riding in back behind the rear seats. Cool. Later my Dad had a '62 Deluxe Microbus, off-white top, aqua-marine blue bottom, walk-thru, this is the vehicle I learned to drive in at age 10 on the farm, Dad sold it after about 5 years. Going to school I had a few beetles and Rabbits and a '79 Yellow beetle convertible, me and my wife's newly-wed car, sold it after two years. Started the first house rehab. Then I saw a '71 Bus for sale, $600.00. Rust beyond belief. Had to have it. Soon traded for a '72 Kombi with camping gear, no pop-top. transplanted a '79 FI engine into it. Wife and I did a LOT of camping in it, loved it but PA rust loved it more. Bought a '79 walk-thru Bus, swapped camping parts from '72 into it and we camped a lot more. 1988, first child, got an '84 Vanagon (with heat, yahoo!). Had it till '94 when my wife was rear-ended and van totaled. Another '84 for a year, heads started leaking, needed an engine, bought a non-running '87 Syncro for the engine alone, turned out to be bad grounds in the Syncro. Ditched the '84, ran the Syncro till Feb this year, tranny went. Had bought '91 Carat auto the previous summer so traded the Syncro and a parts van for a Subie engine and kit and put in the Carat, and there we are.

Its an Illness, for sure.

Dave