Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 May 2004 16:51:30 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: cost of installing engine on '87 Westy
Comments: To: Jenny Fontaine <jensmiles2@HOTMAIL.COM>

Jenny, take a look at Bob Donalds engines on his web site WWW.BostonEngines.com and get some prices, then call and talk to him. He's a staight shooter, and will give you the right info for making a decision. He can probably give you some idea about freight costs to your area as well. Add $750-$1000 for labor for the complete engine change out. If you want to have a new clutch or other work done, now's the time, with the engine being given the R&R treatment. Nothing worse that having a new engine and having something to let go shortly there after and having to drop the tranny or the engine again. Gets very expensive. If I had a good many miles on my van, I would at minimum have the flywheel refaced, a new clutch disc installed and a new thowout bearing installed. An entire new clutch assembly with seals and bearings would be a better deal. If you have an automatic tranny it's a different ballgame and maybe someone with an auto teranny can address the other issues. With the engine change, BE SURE you get all new fuel lines and water hoses in the engine compartment. Vanagons are notorious for having engine fires. A savings on using old fuel hoses instead of new is no savings at all but a setup to lose you van and new engine.

Be sure to get good breakin instructions and follow them to the letter. Also, start your new engine life on a Mahle or Mann oil filter. They are about the only ones out there with the proper internal pressure releif valve spring pressure to maintain the oil pressure in the engfine oil galleries when the engine is shut down. Others leak down the pressure, and when next you start up you will likely have lifters that are without sufficient oil and they will clatter like the thing is going to fly apart. Not so with the Mann or Mahle filters. So do the right thing.

If you go with one of the alternative engines ...... well, thats another horse story. And ultimately an expensive one unless you can do a lot of work yourself or know some special people.

Good luck.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver