Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2004 07:35:27 -0500
From:         "Chris S." <MrPolak@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9 TDI engine conversion
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

> I have heard of the 1.9L Turbo Diesel engines being used in the vanagon > but have never found a good write up on it. > How many of you engine conversion folks have done this conversion compared > to the Suby 2.2 , 2.5 or the Tiico engine?

I drive a Beetle TDI daily. The engine puts out 90 hp at 4000 rpm and 150 ft/lb of torque at 1900 rpm - There are mods available that easily increase the power to over 110 hp. Although it puts out "only" 90 hp, the torque comes on very low, which makes it very peppy. The drawback of converting to TDI vs. TIICO is that you will have to change or regear the transmission to get the most out of the diesel's torque curve.

I have no idea what kind of mileage the TDI would yield in a Vanagon, but in the NB with my spirited driving on the interstate to and from work I get over 40 MPG - It's a whole different world when you fill up every 550 miles or so with around 13 Gallons of diesel. I've seen mileage as high as 47 MPG. 30 certainly sounds feasible in the Vanagon.

Chris S. '85 Westy '01 NB TDI