Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2004 08:13:03 -0700
From:         Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Diesels on NPR

Don had the answer; we need a good, nation-wide mass transit system. Even if each one were state run and connected together, like the European system, we'd get more than half the cars off the road. It would save all the wear and tear of daily driving on our Vanagons and keep them in better shape for camping and adventures.

A statement was made about using animal fat. Fact is animal fat makes a pour and dirty fuel. I'm not saying it doesn't burn well; the problem is it's very sooty, just like petrol-diesel. Maybe because it comes from an animal (dino) base like crude. It also makes a pour fuel because it solidifies at room temperature. Bio-diesel suppliers in CA have at times laced theirs with small percentages of rendered grease (because it's free), making the fuel unusable at temps below 50F without custom fuel heaters.

There will always be those who love gas and those who love diesel. The problem here in the USA is we love our cars too much. We need to get past that and learn to love the earth (and mass transit).

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro