Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2004 12:04:54 -0400
From:         The corruptor <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Draining the coolant system... ?

Yea, this is the main problem, it is too complex!!! The radiator(S) should be in the back (2 of them each side)with only one well design heating blower in the back... they were drunk that day, they were also drunk the day they design the cooling system... or should i say the wole engine. VW doesn't do that much of research, Honda, Toyota does.

There is many ways to drain and bleed a vanagon, i did try quite a few, on the 91 2.1L engine there is NO need at first to raise the van....unless after a first good ride you do overheat, a slight overheat is normal for the fist day, IT WILL SELF BLEED afterward. My last 3 bleeds on 2.1L, i didn't raise the van at all, i simply drive this one for a wile over an overpass IF NEEDED! after a few run i simply open the front rad and the rear engine/thermostat bleeder screws, i continue driving for a wile, i bleed again, normaly after 3 bleed, the sytem if free of all air pockets.

If you chose to raise the back it's fine also, in that case you can also leave the Expension tank cap off until you see a lot of air bubble, at idle it will NOT overheat, but remember, you need to rev the engine and not let go at all, if you do so, coolant will splach out of the expension tank.

As you know, the 2.1L as a self bleeding system that works quite fine.. (ring around the rear hatch)

But to be more technical, the 2.1L water pump is kind of weak, so if you raise the back without enough engine revolution, the coolant will have a hard time getting in the front rad. Another VW stupidity found on other car like the old Jetta, the use of a freaking expention tank!!!! put a damn radiator cap on the radiator like any other car that don't need bleeding....

On those, you just leave that cap open for 15 minutes or until the thermostat open...

we just change some hoses on a 84, i took many pictures, on this one i tried to bleed the 1.9L without raising the van....without any sucess, we had to raise the front and rear to bleed this one??? finaly, after 30 minutes of trying a very big air pocket went through the front rad bleeding screw.

Anyway you decide, you need to get that air out IF THE ENGINE IS OVERHEATING... If not, why the hell would you raise anything!

Cheers. http://www.benplace.com/bleeding.htm ps.: i will revise my section tonight with new trick that i found lately