Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2004 11:08:29 -0500
From:         "Donald Baxter / Iowa City, Iowa" <onanov@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesels on NPR
Comments: To: Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>

We should also consider the impact of the environmental implication of new vehicles being built. New cars create their own environmental effects by their very construction. Keeping an old car somewhat offsets the deleterious effects of their filthy engines... The old vehicles may pollute, but they're already here and the materials are already consumed. Putting a new inline four VW gas engine is a great way to clean up a Vanagon (but I'm probably not due for this transplant for a long time).

I'm a big supporter of high density communities where walking, cycling and transit are useful. If we keep insisting on trying to live "rural" lives in urban areas we're not looking at anything remotely sustainable. New high density communities are being built where you can't hear your neighbors and frequently offer the sort of individualistic privacy Americans seem to require.

Or we can just all live in our Vanagons and park them very close together. :-)

DB

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Dodson" <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 10:13 AM Subject: Diesels on NPR