Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 May 2004 11:29:49 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: lifter problems
Comments: To: John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>

John, good tips on the Mann filters. I had heard they have a difference internally. I have had problems too with lifters acting up when sitting for long periods. Usually an easy run will get them to pump up and they are ok for months.

An oil change has helped. I like the "Engine Restore" product.

I do not like Mobile One. I believe it is overkill on the vanagon and many Porsche folks who have switched to it have found it created a multitude of engine oil leaks. In a turbo engine where the turbo bearings run at very high temps Mobile One does help. Vanagon motors do not have abnormally high engine oil temps and with the oil cooler on the 2.1s it should not be an issue. IMHO its a waste of money for the vanagon, you are better off running 20-50 and change the oil more frequently.

I run standard 20-50 in my Porsches and have had no problems at all.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: John Rodgers To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 10:46 AM Subject: Re: lifter problems

Paul,

Replace your oil filter with a Mann or Mahle filter. These two filters have internal relief valve springs that have sufficient strength to hold the oil pressue in the oil galleries of the engine when the engine is turned off. Other brands do not. With the other filters, the pressure bleeds down in the galleries, allowing the [pressure to drop in the lifters, and then when you start up the valves clatter until the lifters pump up. It is said that this really doesn't hurt anything if the lifters pump up soon, but in rerality it does hurt the engine. Not in a large way, but over time the accumulated effects of the odd wear caused by this condition will contribute to engine problems. A lifter that is flat results in a valve that opens late and closes early. Thuswith an intake valve, you have a reduced charge in the cylinder, and therefore reduced power. On a four cylinder engine this is an out of balance condition that puts uneven loads on rotating parts. Not Good!! If it is an exhaust valve then you have a cylinder holding pressue far longer than it should, and reduced scavenging of exhaust gases with resulting back pressure, thus increasing vibration, increasing temperatures, and putting added loads on rotating parts. Again, NOT GOOD!!

So, get the filters that have over and over proven to work.

Since your machine is aircooled, I'm not sure about the best oil type but consider my comments on the WBX. It may apply to the aircooled engines. Don't know for certain.

Add a bottle of Marvels Mystery oil to the engine oil, run around a bit......100 miles on a steady run........... then drain the oil, replace the filter, and put in Mobil One 15W50WT Synthetic. If you still have the clattering on startup after all that, then you have problems in the valve train and the cold valve clearance with the lifters flat may have to be adjusted. If that doesn't do it, then the lifters themselvesare the problrm and you may have to replace them. But that is not likely if the engine is new. I suggest you switch to Mobil One anyway, just as a matter of course. Bob Donalds web site, www.bostonengines.com has some good info about adjusting valves. Bob knows his stuff with these engines and is a good source of info.

My own set up on my 88 GL is as follows

*Engine:* the Mann filter, Mobil One 15W50wt Synthetic ( piston type aircraft engines went to synthetic oils a long time ago... why not the WBX?) *Fuel System: *One bottle of Marvels Mystery oil every third tank full. *Coolant:* Texaco Havoline Orange Biodegreadable, and one bottle of Redline WaterWetter - Drain and flush sustem every two years, religiously. *Manual Tranny:* Redline MT90 tranny oil. Change every two years religiously. The molecular chains in oil break over time, and lubrication quality diminishes, so this makes sense to me as a maintenance item. *Brakes: *Bleed and flush with new break fluid every two years - I do this because of the water and dirt I have found in the lines at different times. Flushing as routine maintenance just makes sense to me.

I have over 50,000 miles on a rebuilt engine and not a burp, nor drop of oil has leaked. It runs nice and cool, and all systems perform as they should. (Except the AC which needs work)

I'm an old aircraft mechanic whose experiece has taught me that a high level of service and maintenance ALWAYS leads to better performance and longevity. You don't pull a broken airplane over and park it on a cloud while you wait for the tow truck!!! And I absolutely HATE haveing to call a tow truck for my van.!!

Best Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver