Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 May 2004 09:17:13 -0700
From:         Joseph Fortino <fortino1@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: lifter problems

also correct me if i'm wrong please, but i run this in my gas tank and noticed it does stay in the fuel filter also alittle bit, i don't think its clogging just noticed this last time. I like MMO and feel it helps with sluge build up.

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET> Sent: May 13, 2004 9:22 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: lifter problems

Try running a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil with your engine oil for about 300 miles or a tank of gas. Don't overfill when you add the MMO and replace the filter when you change the oil. Strange as it may seem the MMO often fees up the lifters, loosens stuck rings, cleans carbon and sludge from your engine case and undersides of pistons. It doesn't hurt to run a quart of MMO with a few full tanks of gas to clean your combustion chambers, fuel system and general clean your top end.

Stan Wilder ----- Original Message ----- From: Paul Whitley To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 10:18 AM Subject: lifter problems

Hello All,

I am pretty new to the Vanagon scene. I have owned nothing but a BMW 320I and multiple Beetles. So I thought buying a 1982 Vanagon (air-cooled) would be no different than what I have been use to. Boy was I wrong.

I usually do as much of my own maintenance as possible. I can pretty much rebuild a 1600cc drunk and blindfolded, but this 2.0 is giving me some annoying problems that I need help with.

The hydraulic lifters seem to collapse every 10 or 11 months. This last time when I replaced them and set the timing the problem did not go away. There is definite blow back of the exhaust gasses and no power. I think the van can go about 25 mph.

This van has been in my family for 2 years now. I want to keep it, but not if this happens every year. Is this an engineering flaw, or am I doing something to contribute to the delinquency of a cranky van?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thank you.

Paul Whitley 82 Vanagon GL "Rolling Turd" 74 Super Beetle "Tori #7" 63 Beetle Project "Money Pit" or "Garage Therapy"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Getting married? Find tips, tools and the latest trends at MSN Life Events.