Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 May 2004 16:59:11 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Marvel Mystery Oil
Comments: To: gojira@adelphia.net

I would use Chevron techron in the gasoline instead of Marvel Mystery Oil. You can also take out the injectors from the heads fairly easily and test the spray pattern in a glass jar. You can also check the fuel pressure by putting a cheap 100psi water guage inline on a fuel line temporarily.

I've used MMO in my oil for several hundred miles. I did find that it made my oil thin at high engine temperatures, which results in low oil pressure at hot idle. I don't have that problem with straight Castrol 20W-50W without the MMO and the weather is hotter now.

Also, you may find it useful to do an engine flush next time you change your oil.

But then again... why listen to me when my valves are still going, tick, tick, tick....

The way I look at it, at least my van runs and can take me camping. :-)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:25:00 -0500, Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > > MMO is a shot in the dark. > It isn't going to dissolve rust or solid crystals that I've seen in fuel > tanks and blocking filters. > I'd replace the filter, but first I'd run the tank near dry and drain the > bottom 1.5 gallons of gas out with a siphon or pump and try starting with > all fresh gas. Put driver side front wheel up about 6" either with a jack or > on a curb and you'll be able to get most of the old fuel out. > I used a 3/8 rubber hose with solder wrapped around the end for weight. > pushed the hose down the tank, wrapped the hose with a rag at the filler and > blew compressed air into the tank. > I got lots of crystals about the size of bacon bits by using the pressure. > You can also blow air (compressed or your breath) back into the out pipe on > your tank and clear the filter sock. > > Stan > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jason Kirk" <Gojira@ADELPHIA.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 5:59 PM > Subject: Re: Marvel Mystery Oil > > > Thank you to those who have replied to my original inquiry. Actually, it > was > > just Stan. Thanks Stan. I also want to clarify my original question about > > adding this "oil" to the fuel system. If one has a fuel system that is > > displaying symptoms of being dirty (surging under acceleration - suspect > > clogged filter), would this additive work sufficiently under these > > conditions? Or should the filter be replaced before using the additive? > And > > if replaced before, would I need to replace it afterward? > > > > Jason > > ("87 Weekender - California) > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Jason Kirk" <Gojira@ADELPHIA.NET> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 1:10 PM > > Subject: Marvel Mystery Oil > > > > > > Wasn't that a Beatles tune? Is it necessary to change your motor oil after > > using this product? And when using it to clean your fuel system, should > you > > change the fuel filter before or after the process? Thank you all. > > > > Jason >