Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2004 17:54:04 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: State of the List... State your ages!!!!!!! :<)

Ok, I'm 48, and hopelessly addicted to VW Vans. I bought a 66 split window as my first car back in 1976. I was a motorcyclist and bicyclist up till then but times were changing for me so I cut my hair and bought a 'car'. The year before that I took a trip to Baja in a 1962 Bus with a college buddy of mine and our girlfriends. I was impressed with the capabilities of that thing in all the ways you can imagine. The rear seats were out and a platform bed installed. I still tell stories of that trip and the road conditions we encountered. I decided to get one myself as it seemed almost as simple mechanically as the motorcycles I was used to working on.

From there I bought a 71 Squareback for commuting, moved up to a 1969 Bus, then a 72 Westy......

I've lost track of the VW's I owned since. More than 30 Buses and a handful of Squarebacks and Fastbacks. I have had a serious relationship with about 10 Vanagons, putting over 500,000 miles on them. The others I put back into shape and mostly passed them on to family and friends.

I currently prefer Syncros and diesel Vanagons. My collection never seems to drop under 4 but I'm a fair bit past that at the moment counting the project vehicles.

87 Syncro Baja Camper, Audi 5 Cylinder 82 Diesel Westy, 1.9TD 87 Syncro GL, 2.1 WBX 83 Stretched Syncro Diesel, camper of the future 83 Syncro conversion, Diesel and a few more......just passing through, honest honey bunch...

Mark