Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 May 2004 14:16:33 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Installing pop top seals
Comments: To: alexander may <mr_may21@HOTMAIL.COM>

The seals have spring clips imbedded in the V grove channel. Much like the push on trim around your inner door seals. Just pull the old seal off and push the new seal into position. Start on the front side of either edge and work your way around pushing it into position. You can take a rubber hammer after you've got the whole thing in place and fully seat the seal onto the edge of the fiberglass top. Warming the new seal in the sun will soften it and make it more pliable to make the tight bends at the rear of the pop-top. Do not stretch the seal. Allow it to flow naturally onto the edge. You must consider that it will have some shrinkage in winter and some minor expansion in summer heat. The new header seal that goes across the front of the pop-top must be carefully cut and you can use rubberized sealer or black silicone sealer to fill the small crack you might have. The seal that goes around the front luggage area installs the same way. The luggage rack portion will easily remove after you take the visible screws out. You should not need any adhesives, sealers to have a good long life installation.

Stan Wilder

----- Original Message ----- From: "alexander may" <mr_may21@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, May 08, 2004 1:41 PM Subject: Installing pop top seals