Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 May 2004 17:28:07 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] smells like gas.....
Comments: To: jay <jasonzandbergen@yahoo.com>

It is likely the vent hoses or connections on the top of the tank. Drain the tank and its pretty easy to handle. The two long straps under it hold it up in place. Helps if you can drive the front up on some good sturdy ramps.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: jay To: vanagon@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 5:23 PM Subject: [vanagon] smells like gas.....

hi, I just fired up the 'ole '81 vanagon after a long cold winter (fired right up! no hesitation). I changed the oil and filled the gas tank and went for a drive. Life is good. But then I smelled gas, I stopped and looked underneath and there was definately gas dripping onto the road. Crap. I had a garage install a new parking brake cable just before I parked it, and I recall the mechanic saying that it was a big job and that he had to remove the gas tank (which is why it cost me $250). What do you think? Did the mechanic miss something? A seal or something going? It's not rust and I think the gas is leaking high up and only when I corner or hit some good bumps. I'm gonna ask the garage tomorrow, but I expect that it will be up to myself to find and fix the problem. Any ideas or tips? thanks j

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT