Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2004 13:22:21 -0700
From:         Jim Kennedy <JK@PROJECTDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: What to do if you're really stranded in a Vanagon
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@astound.net>

I should have said that we rented a truck AND a tow dolly. I vainly imagined filling that empty truck for someone moving to San Diego to help defray costs. Try driving 600 miles in one day with 5 ppl. on the bench seat of a truck! Great family memories..

Love my GL though. She's purdy.

-----Original Message----- From: Doug in Calif [mailto:vanagon@astound.net] Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 1:18 PM To: Jim Kennedy Cc: vanagon.com Subject: Re: What to do if you're really stranded in a Vanagon

Jim, At least you were stuck in a vanagon vs. some small car. When my 89 gave up I car camped in it for a day in LA. Walked to grocery store got some goods set up the table in the van and made lunch. Also pulled the curtains and got some good well needed rest till I had arrangements for hauling it home.

I did call U-Haul and guess what? The will not allow you to tow a vanagon on a dolly with anything but a large truck. I have a Ranger 4wd and they would not allow me to use it to tow.

I believe it would have been fine but their chart said the vanagon was a too big to tow with my Ranger.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: Jim <mailto:JK@PROJECTDESIGN.COM> Kennedy To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 12:48 PM Subject: What to do if you're really stranded in a Vanagon

What to do if you're really stranded in a Vanagon, far from home and cannot effect repairs.

Once when traveling with my wife and 3 little people from Grand Junction Colorado to home in San Diego in my '87 GL, it started doing the Digifant dive. Lurch, cough, blah. You haven't lived until you coast deadstick to the side of I-70 in Utah FAR from ANYTHING with your family of 5, on a 100 degree summer day. Not even cellphone coverage. This was my first experience with this kind of glitch, and I was clueless. Fortunately I was able to get it to the next town (Salina). This is what you do. Get ahold of a Uhaul and TOW DOLLY and you are set. Expensive save, but it's just a good thing to remember...

Jim San Diego '87 GL