Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2004 14:44:03 -0700
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: What to do if you're really stranded in a Vanagon

Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET> wrote:

They will not allow you to tow a vanagon on a dolly with anything but a large truck. I have a Ranger 4wd and they would not allow me to use it to tow.

I believe it would have been fine but their chart said the vanagon was a too big to tow with my Ranger.

It probably had more to do with the load rating of the tow dolly than the tow vehicle. Most tow dolly's are rated for up to 3200 lbs of total vehicle weight, no more.

I tow my Vanagon on my MasterTow dolly occasionally behind my Bluebird. Since the dolly has surge brakes I don't worry about it too much. Unless I look in the rear view camera screen, I can't even tell the van is back there.

I have actually towed a Altima with the Vanagon, but only for about a mile keeping under 25 mph the whole way; never again.

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://photos.yahoo.com/tjhannink [Vanagon] Album FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon