Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 2004 04:00:28 -0700
From:         Harold May <hmayinthepines@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Greetings/my Van/'87 coolant

Hey Now Folks ~

I am fairly new to the list (~one week), and have very much been enjoying the messages posted, although it is more traffic than I had anticipated. It's a lot of fun reading about people's love affair with a vehicle such as the Vanagon. Although I only have a couple years experience with one (it's also my 1st VW), I can appreciate and relate to the stories, theories, myths and lore.

My wife and I bought an '87 Vanagon Wolfsburg pop top Weekender in 2002. Not sure if that terminology is correct though, so please help me out and correct me if needed. It does not say "GL" anywhere. It is the canvas pop top/sleeping area style. No sink/stove/fridge units, but rather has the fold up table between the rear bench seat, and the opposite facing jump seat behind the drivers seat. Storage cabinet in back on driver's side. Has a round metal Wolfsburg Edition emblem on the side front. Are these called Weekender's, Adventurewagon's, or something else?

Like I said, we bought it in '02, and shortly thereafter named it "Lionel", in homage to my father-in-law, who passed away shortly after purchasing the Van. My wife's family (she has 2 older sister's) used to take camping trips all over the US, mainly going to National Parks during the summer time, in a VW camper Van during the late 60's, so we thought it appropriate to name it after him. Being the youngest and smallest, my wife would be the one who slept across the front seats, which were turned inwards, on some type of hammock or other sleeping creation which I can't remember on this late night. BTW, for the age thread, she will be 43 next month, and I turned 41 this past January...

The seller who we bought it from was only asking $1,000. They thought it had a blown engine, due to a bad water leak. We had it towed (thanks to AAA plus for free) to a mechanic in Auburn, CA (Yergen's, for those Northern CA/Sierra foothills/Sac Valley folks), who said it did not have a blown engine, but did need numerous (~12) small rubber hoses, a new catalytic converter and a couple other things. We paid the seller $1,000, and paid the mechanic $1,500, which brought it up to great running condition. Heck, the fairly new Michelin Agilus tires, and the Kenwood sound system - in dash cassette deck, w/separate power amp and 10 CD disc changer under front passenger seat, and 4 Kenwood speakers were worth the $1,000 by themselves. Also came with the Bentley book. In the Fall of 2002 we drove it during our Honeymoon all through Oregon, and on up to Seattle and some of the Puget Sound, before returning to the Sierra foothills. No problems at all, great trip!!!

"Lionel" now seems to have something wrong with the cooling system. I know nothing about cars/engines - was that a collective gasp I just heard ? Are many of you now saying Time to learn! ;~) What happens is after a few hundred miles, the red blinking light on the dashboard temperature gauge continuously flashes. The overflow tank is at the correct level, but usually the main coolant tank in the engine itself has dropped below the minimum. I add coolant/water mix to this tank up to the drain hose to the overflow tank (after the engine has cooled down of course), and it seems to be fine again, for awhile.

I have no idea when Lionel had it's last "major" service at a repair shop. It's had a tune-up at Yergen's auto shop, but I kind of feel like taking it somewhere else this time - like Sacramento. Can anyone recommend Larry'z auto works or that other funny sounding name VW auto repair shop in Sac (sorry, can't remember their name), or another place? Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Last year my wife bought a '93 EuroVan MV pop top camper (only had 45,000 miles at the time). Again, no stove/sink/fridge units, just the table, and one rear facing seat. No cabinets above rear bed, which when extended is quite large. Any common name for this style VW Van?

peace, Harold '87 Vanagon Wolfsburg '93 EuroVan MV

p.s. wish i had the '87 or an earlier model for all the grateful dead concerts i went to, starting in '78...