Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 May 2004 23:36:00 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: windshield replacement

Well yes, and no. Actually, what I am thinking about are these two goofs (gooves?!) that I saw bust a windshield up years ago in school. After listening carefully to the lecture on how carry the thing, these guys picked it up out of its box and proceeded to pretty much do everything they were just told not to do. They put a twist and a bend on it at the same time (i.e. they turned the corners away from each other lengthwise and put inward pressure on it, towards each other)- it happened really fast and was kind of weird to see, in that one second it looked fine, then maybe not, then it popped. It gave no real sign of actually being under stress, they just looked kind of awkward before it let go. When it was over, it was on the floor in three larger pieces and many, many smaller ones, all held together by the laminate, but, there were little chunks of glass all over the place; in our hair, etc. We found some later during cleanup that had gone all the way across the shop. One of the guys that had been 'handling' the windshield had a bunch of cuts in one hand. Yeah, it's supposed to be 'safety glass', but I wouldn't bet my eyes on it. It occurs to me in thinking about it now that it might break more freely or violently out in open air than it would secured in a frame. Anyway, I guess my point to the other Robert is more that the danger signs of mishandling a windshield can be pretty subtle and you can be past the point of no return before you even realize you're in trouble. Talk the move out beforehand, go together slowly and steadily, keep it in its normal upright position and avoid weird angles.

Robert '87 GL

----- Original Message ----- From: <jeff@vanagonparts.com> To: "Robert Fisher" <refisher@MCHSI.COM> Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 4:11 PM Subject: RE: windshield replacement