Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 2004 02:03:30 -0700
From:         Derek <helios@SABER.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 17 May 2004 (#2004-468)

Howdy all,

Well I've discovered this is quite a busy list... I can't keep up.

Derek here, Fort Bragg, CA (the authentic original), single/divorced/whatever, 49 and ticking....

Okay, I have a confession to make. I don't like VW's.

Well, I really mean old VW engines, the air cooled ones, the ones that need "tinkering" seemingly all the time. BAH!

I used to own a high volume auto repair shop in Santa Clara, CA, back in the early 80's, and the ONLY VW's that came into my shop left with a much superior Chevrolet Corvair driveline in them. Now THAT was a GREAT combo for the vans, AND Karman Ghias. Waaaaay coool. Especially the Vair engines I "breathed on", smokin' baby! I LOVE sleepers.

Now I see the Subie engine is THE conversion to use for the vans, good choice as far as I've seen (I live 30 mins up the road from the Road Cow but we've never met).

Oh yeah... WHY am I here? Okay, confession time.

I'm currently driving a '68 bus (loaf van according to some) by default, since the price was right. I got it after tiring of walking for two years after I wore out my bought new, 1990 Nissan 4WD truck.

I don't care for this TYPE 2? body style as much and would LOVE to own an old split window bus (what was the cool one, 23 windows?), lowered, front and rear anti roll bars, rack and pinion, disc brakes, mini lites, and some good wide sticky tires, with a Subie SVX driveline. Now THAT would be FUN! Stereo? Stereo? We don't need no stinkin' Stereo, LISTEN to that sweet flat SIX exhaust note.

But back to my (un)reality... last year I got a totally rusted out, but everything else is just fine, 1981 Adventure wagon Vanagon (high top) which had to be parked because one of the rear hatch hinge mounting points rusted away! I live half a mile from the Pacific, and the Vanagon lived closer before I got it.

I have always liked Vanagons, I really think the body lines are timeless, they haven't aged a bit since they were penned a long time ago. But I still don't like their power plants (and with 50 HP diesels on the street?! Are you KIDDING ME!!!! Scary...). I understand the vasserboxers are more reliable than the airbreathers, so is the Subie conversion worth the effort? Uh, Oh... that was probably a dumb question, sorry.

Oh yeah... I don't currently own a motorrad but I've been street riding for 35 years, and have owned 9 motorcycles, and I AM going to get another one this year (something old and cheap since I live on a looow fixed income).

See, I (barely) qualify to be a list member.

I REALLY like Syncros (BIG TIME!) and someday hope to own one. Isn't there a rare model only sold in Canada and Europe that had a bigger beefer frame? I'd like to see one of those.

Anyhow, when I joined this list I was going to seek a cheap Syncro (Yeah, I know... dream on), or rust free (as possible) 2WD and switch over all the Adventure wagon stuff (no biggie), but now I'm going to be selling my '68, and the Adventure wagon because I just became the Engineer of my radio stations Mendocino remote studio and my workload just tripled, so no time for VW projects now in my life.

But I also know of an 84? Vanagon 2WD, auto, with "only" 27k on a reliable mechanics rebuild. The trans is supposedly dead, but the inside is nice (blue), the body looks fine except the right rear wheel well, and last half of the slider door has minor damage. She wants $200.00 for it if anyone is interested. Is this too much to ask for this van, she's an acquaintance of mine so I'm trying to help her out. I can shoot some digitals and post them to my server if anyone is interested. Please reply off list, and please put Vanagon in the subject or my spam trap will grab it.

And finally... this list really is too much for me to keep up with as I'm already so busy, but can anyone direct me to any Syncro lists so I can lurk about and perhaps even check one out in person if it's passing through my area sometime, thanks.

Oh okay, one more, anyone want to trade a Syncro (with a dead engine is okay) for my two VW's plus some ca$h, if it's not too much?

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

I have to say, it's nice to see such an active list in support of such an interesting and unique orphan vehicle.

Later Derek -

P.S. Please don't start with the Corvair jokes, they are tired and wrong, and I can shut you down fast with PLENTY of facts. Thanks.

Ya ALL have a NICE day! --

Check it:

Music Out of Bounds With your host Mister X http://www.kzyx.org/show_profiles/music-out-of-bounds.html Every other Friday night at Midnight

Alternating with Sonic Attack Hosted by Mike Stephens Only on KZYX KZYZ K202BE 90.7 91.5 88.3 FM Mendocino County Public Radio http://www.kzyx.org/pages/listen_now.html

"Expectation is a prison" - Robert Fripp