Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 May 2004 20:40:08 -0700
From:         Michael Brenner <brenner9@YOSEMITE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Timing

I think I may have a timing issue with my 84 Westy. When reading the Bently manual, I'm a little confused as to what RPM you set the timing at. From what I can make out it appears to set the timing at 2500rmp? Is this correct? (I have had to set early 911's at 6000rmp, which was a lot of fun to stand behind with this screaming motor). Trying to diagnose a wierd problem. The van fires up and runs for about 3 to 5 minutes, and then gradually misses and stalls completely and will not start, not even with ether. When it cranks over it has that sound and feel like the timing is off, but never fires at all. I usually have to wait until completely cold before it will restart. I have tested the sensors, the air intake plate, the deacceleration switch and the full throttle enrichment switch, and they test good. Tested the hall unit for voltage and flicker, and it tested ok. The injectors have new seals and do not drip. New plugs, cap, rotor and wires (the correct wires). It seems like the timing drifts away, if that makes sense. As soon as I can adapt my american fuel pressure tester to the german test port, I will see what the fuel pressure is doing. Compression is ok, not great, 120-125 when the car is warm.

Any suggestions would be greatl;y appreciated. Mike Brenner