Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2004 00:56:57 -0400
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: jumpseat brackets
Comments: To: JordanVw@aol.com

In a message dated 5/18/2004 11:06:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JordanVw@AOL.COM writes:

> Ben, if you think about it...a front end collision will send weight to the > front...to the horizontal jumpseat mount bar.. the jumpseat isnt latched to the > floor..it just sits in those cups loosely, by gravity or > the weight of the > person in the seat...

In a message dated 5/18/2004 11:06:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JordanVw@AOL.COM writes:

> Ben, if you think about it...a front end collision will send weight to the > front...to the horizontal jumpseat mount bar.. the jumpseat isnt latched to the > floor..it just sits in those cups loosely, by gravity or > the weight of the > person in the seat...

Chris, jumpseats in my vans attach to the horizontal bar. The steel cups on the floor havesufficient height to keep the seat from being simply pulled out once the rear catch is engaged. The rear mount, floor cups, and the seat framing form a very string triangular structure. I would not want to be in that seat when someone hits the rear of the van hard and those pretty brass cups rip out of the plywood floor.

On your other note, there is nothing similar to the installation of lap belts vs. 3-point belts to steel points to mounting a steel seat to a plywood floor. Lap belts when used properly can keep you from flying out of the seat in a collission just as well as the 3-pointers. Brass cups in wood can rarely be expected to perform as well as steel on steel parts. (yes i realize there is also a rubber fitting on the ends)

BenT