Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2004 03:08:31 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: jumpseat brackets
Comments: To: jeffg@MIKOEXOTICWEAR.COM

In a message dated 5/18/2004 7:30:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time, jeffg@MIKOEXOTICWEAR.COM writes:

> does anyone have any of the floor mounting brackets to mount a rear facing > jumpseat..i have a 1989 Vanagon Westfalia. > >

I thought someone posted not so long ago that these were available from the VW Dealer. Although I'm guessing you checked that since I think the 2,3,4 you note is from ETKA parts list.

Just because I was looking I'm going to note the part numbers here, and hopefully open up or fan the heated debate on the safety issue.

ETKA notes "reinforcement for wheel housing" for mounting the bracket that holds the jumpseat. That is the bracket that mounts to the battery compartment or the storage compartment under the driver's seat depending on which side the seat is to be mounted. These reinforcements look to go inside the battery box and seem to have two holes to accept the bolts that the bracket-(let's call it the upper bracket even though the lower bracket is no more that the mounting plates with holes welded to the floor) to accept the 2 bolts that mount the upper bracket at each end. (two bolts at each end means four bolts for the entire upper bracket).

These upper bracket reinforcements would seem to be in line with BenT's concern about proper and SAFE mounting of the seat. Seems VW assessed a need for these reinforcements, most likely to reduce injury in a collision. I guess this because the seat would seem to mount fine on the battery box and storage box without reinforcement--thereby suggesting it was to keep the seat from tearing free in the unlikely event of a collision. "Seems" I say as I've never even been to VW headquarters since they moved from Englewood, NJ.

And in addition I beleive the seat belt mounts into the battery box or storage box with the same bolts that mount this upper bracket. So again additional reinforcement would be helpful to prevent the seatbelts from tearing out at their mount in a collison.

I'd be concerned about this sort of thing for the safety of all occupants of the bus in the unlikely event of a collision. Obviously a person in the 5th seat, should the seat or seat belt tear loose, could be injured by being tossed about the cabin. But in addition unbelted persons or those torn from their belts persons become projectiles in said collision and can hit those in front causing bodily injury to both. (Take this as a public service announcement to wear seatbelts even in the back seat. I saw a study recently where an unbelted rear passenger flies forward in a collision and crashes their head into the head of the person in the front seat leaving both with head injuries. I know the headrest should be between them, but apparenlty it tears loose or gets moved enough with the force of the unbelted rear persons entire body weight crashing into it.)

Anyway here are the part numbers:

Retaining plates that are welded to the floor (could these plates be bolted to the floor? I don't know. who has seen them?)

255 887 225 retaining plate left outer 255 887 225A retaining plate right outer 225 887 225C retaining plate inner (looks like right and left use same inner plate)

These are the reinforcements that mount in the battery box or storage box

255 887 401A reinforcement for wheel housing left 255 887 402 reinforcement for wheel housing right

These are the plastic caps that fit over the metal pins that stick into the floor and mouting plate

253 887 465 (needs 2 caps for the two pins)

Here, just for the heck of it, are the part numbers for the upper mounting braket

255 887 371 support tube left 255 887 372 support tube right

And then there's the storage tray which looks like it goes behind the seat back and could be used to hold gum and other forgotten items.

253 887 499 tray

That's all I've got. BEst Jeff 83.5 Westfalia LA,CA