Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2004 22:54:30 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Towing a Vanagon
Comments: To: Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@telia.com>

>Hi Andrew ! > >Besides being a Vanagonowner I also have a Suzuki Samurai and on that list >we´ve had a discussion about the best way of going short trips with the >competition cars without using a trailer so I got kinda curious about this >A-frame !! >Is it possible to beg you of a brief description on how it works, where you >attach it and maybe how to build one ? >And maybe a pic or two ?? > >TIA >Calle >Mullhyttan, Sweden

Greetings Calle!

Hope spring's well on its way there at the North Pole!

An A-frame is the ideal way to tow a manual car. Most service stations will have one, but theirs will be rigid and therefore need to have complicated brackets made for every model towed.

Mine is sort of a heavy-duty copy of a lightweight one I used to borrow, which I had fabricated. Unfortunately I think I will have to have it shortened... jackknifing at 100kmh is no fun, ebven if no damage is the result. The one I was borrowing was about 60cm long (when folded); mine is more than double that.

An adjustable one like mine consists of two box-section steel legs, hinged with a vertical pivot just behind the front end, which has a normal trailer coupling on it. The other end has plate ends welded in, bent toward one another (so that they are more-or-less parallel when opened to fit the towing mounts of most vehicles). These have drilled holes to take a fat bolt, which by fluke just fits through the towing eyes under the nose of 80s-90s Toyotas. The bolt can be secured by double nuts or by a drilled hole and splitpin. Lemme see... no images on my hard drive (they're on my other computer), but I'll look for recent photos of a 87 Hiace I towed 405km with the same Corolla over basically the same route... damn, there's no Photoshop, ScanWizard or scanner drivers on this Mac, and no room on its huge 700mb hard drive to install them!! Must get my 9600/G3 up & running again...

OK. I drew a sketch (3 views) in Macdraw Pro, copied it into Word 5.1a. So you (Calle) should be able to see it... I'm ccing this to the list in case anyone wants to know how to make one of these... but the attachment will be stripped. -- Regards Andrew