Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2004 08:17:18 -0700
From:         Steve Delanty <laurasdog@WEIRDSTUFFWEMAKE.COM>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] New Eurika in Coolant Pipe Set Ups--

At 07:10 AM 5/19/2004, David Brodbeck wrote:

>FWIW, I've seen people make 'fake' barbs on copper fittings by putting a >circle of copper wire around the end and soldering. I saw this done with >a cooling hose fitting that had been custom-made for a Subaru conversion. >I think they used 14 ga. wire. The end result is the same, you have a >smooth ridge that the hose clamp, once properly secured, can't be pushed >over.

That may have been mine you saw. There's some photos of it at the subaruvanagon website...

It's not that hard to put barbs on the end of a piece of pipe. A piece of wire can be wrapped around it and soldered or welded on. Or cut a slice of a pipe coupling or a slightly larger piece of pipe to make a ring that can be soldered or welded on. If you're working with stainless and don't have a way to weld a barb on, you can just use some JB weld or epoxy to build up a ridge on the end of the pipe.

Do what you need to do to put a barb or ridge on your coolant pipes, but don't EVER trust a clamped rubber hose to stay on a smooth un-barbed pipe. BTDT, don't really wanna talk about it. )-: Suffice it to say, I wised up on that one decades ago...

> I've heard too many stories of them popping off >at inopportune moments.

I've BEEN that horror story. Fortunately I was young and the long walk didn't hurt me any.

> The problem with risking this on a cooling system >is the pressure is highest right at the moments when you really can't >afford to lose a hose.

Yeah, funny how that works... Don't take the chance. Barb those home-made those coolant pipes!!

Steve '86 Westy "Escape Pod"