Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2004 21:24:15 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      seat padding swap, GL to non?

I've been looking at later model velour GL front seats. It seems to have substantially more padding than the stock seat in my NON-GL 83 Westfalia. I have the old school blue and brown striped fabric seats--NOT the velour seats.

ETKA shows two part numbers for the two different back paddings for the seats, meaning the padding in the GL seats is different than the padding in the early 80s Westfalia seats. But, the metal parts--structural parts-- like the frame of the seat back are the same as far as I saw from 83-89 and possibly earlier and later.

Has anyone either contemplated or completed a swap of the cushioning from a GL into the substandard Westfalia seat. For those unfamiliar: the front seats in my Westfalia have no lumbar support and weak side support and all in all just thin padding. Seems the GL seat is at least better, and possibly the cushion from the GL would fit easily under the Westfalia fabric. Primarily at this point I'm contemplating the seat back, but possibly the seat bottom would be ripe for the swap as well.

The velour seat upholstry in the GL also accounts for some of the cushioning as it is padded, but only ever-so-slightly padded.

The upholstry fabric seems to come off easily enough by unhooking the "staples" at the bottom. Then just take it off like a shirt. Swap the padding. And put the shirt back on--all be it a little smaller shirt with the new padding. But it seems there would still be enough fabric in the Westfalia to accept the larger cushion.

I suppose the best way to upgrade would be to find an entire GL Westfalia and swap the seats. And that would be nice. But for me this is a bit impractical since I'd have to find the right color in great condition etc. and that sounds $$$$$! So barring the expensive upgrade I could easily find dirty and relatively unusable GL seats in a wrecking yard, dig down the undamaged foam/horse hair and swap the foam/horsehair padding into my bus. Thus also keeping the original fabric interior. Any ideas?

Best Jeff 83.5 Westfalia LA,CA