Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 May 2004 19:57:26 -0700
From:         Damon Campbell <damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: seat padding swap, GL to non?
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

I know exactly what you are thinking, Jeff. I've contemplated this exact thing, too. A couple of points, though...

I replaced the aging/nonexistant padding on the backs of the seat by going to a foam shop with the good padding i still had (i.e. passenger seat), and for like $28, they cut, formed, etc. new cushions and a ton of scrap that i used to help build up more contours. Big difference. The only problem is the foam is a bit on the firm side (you want some stuff that feels impractically soft). Cheap, effective, not too hard, AND i got to meet Big Bob of Big Bob's Foam fame.

The only other thing, that someone else will have to definitively comment on, is whether or not the seat back is like the seat bottom, in that there are metal rods the upholstery is attached to for the fitted look. Our early model seats have fabric that just hangs there, and my suspicion is that it'll be a pretty awkward fit if you just swap upholstery onto the later model padding.

Just something to think about, but i want to eventually swap to the later model (and more comfortable) seats, too... just no rush for me.

-Damon

--- Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM> wrote: > Has anyone either contemplated or completed a swap > of the cushioning from a > GL into the substandard Westfalia seat.

===== '84 Westy (Sparky) w/2.3L WBX (well... it was worth a shot. And now it is.)