Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2004 00:43:03 -0400
From:         Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Significance of the o2 sensor
Comments: To: JNMOTLAG@SPRINTPCS.COM

To test the O2 sensor get the engine warmed up and then with a voltmeter touch the red + positive to the green O2 wire and the negative to a ground point on the engine. Don't disconnect the O2 green wire - just pull back the rubber protector a little. The voltage reading should jump back and forth at 0.5 volt +/- 0.3 volts if fuel injection system is working well.

Make sure the brown ground wire on the engine (under the intake, attached to the head, driver's side) is well connected. This is the ground for the O2 sensor sheild. If this is bad the ECU will get erroneous signals from the O2 sensor (even though the O2 sensor is working okay) and the ECU will make the engine run rich. To demonstrate the impoortance of this wire you could try disconnecting it and you'll the lovely pillowing of black smoke as the engine goes super rich.

- Laurence

---------------------------------------- Laurence Smith Hamilton, Ontario, Canada 90 Westy / 90 Subie 2.2 (in progress) 87 GL / 91 Subie 2.2 (given up on 2.1 wasserleakers) ----------------------------------------