Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 2004 12:29:56 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bilsteins 2 different types?
Comments: To: wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET

Karl wrote:

<<I put almost 200K miles on the first set of KYBs, then removed them and put them on my seven passenger van, where they still reside with close to 300,000 total miles on them. The new set on the Westy has around 100K on them.>>

.

As no two manufactured items are exactly alike, my experience with KYB and Bilstein are almost opposite.

I had KYB gas riders on my '82 Westfalia for 7 years. The ride was OK most of that time, but then it became increasingly worse.

I ordered a set of Bilstein shocks.

I discovered the front shocks were completely out of gas and leaking.

I put the Bilsteins in and the ride was comfortable again. Gone was the rough ride.

But after a month the left front shock began making noise and leaking. I sent the shock in for replacement -that's been over a year now and all are working fine.

So, my conclusion is that some parts fail early and some late. There's just no telling how long anything will last. Your brand is your choice. But which one is better is not definite . Your results may vary as they say. Just like you can find one race car driver who advocates K&N filters and the other one stock paper.

Boges may be very good.

I have a heavy duty set of Sachs that came off a mid-'80's camper called Dehler Profi . I have'nt seen these giant shocks on any US Vanagon ever.

I might put them on my rig as they have more dampening than my Bilsteins.

Robert

1982 Westfalia