Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2004 10:07:41 +0200
From:         Calle Fallberg <calle.fallberg@TELIA.COM>
Subject:      Re: microbus is dead NVC

> Both US and Asian automakers are working on downsizing Mini Vans and cars.

We get both Kia and Hundai - Korean cars - and they both make cars to compete with the biggest Mercedes, BMW and - Lexus :-)

> The SUV - MPV is going to be a dead animal with continued higher fuel prices.

Donīt bet on that one ! One swedish motor journalist predicted the MPV / SUV and everything 4X4 as being "the last of the dying dinosaurs" 6 or 7 years ago and they are the fastest growing part on the market right now With a Swedish gas price of app. $ 5.30 US a gallon !!

And about every carmaker have them now, even if I never would have dreamed of seing a (branded) Cadillac truck or Porsche SUV!

Then again, Lamborghini had a "Hummer" back in the early eighties - LM 002 with a 450 hp V12 engine

But Iīm not missing the Microbus concept, the Vanagon is good enough to last another decade ! Should it break down beyond repairability VW has the T4 and LT line which are good substitutes even if they never will have the personality or daily driver ability of the Vanagon since they feel too much as if driving a truck !

Calle -88 Vanagon Mullhyttan, Sweden